Saturday, September 16, 2006

Unfinished Poem to Thailand

Something I've been working on today. If you guys have any feedback, suggestions, please comment. Is anything here that sounds a bit over the top or like it's not honest or it's too vague or too simple? Any comments? Feel free to write me here. I'd appreciate it! Thanks. Ani.




Unfinished Poem to Thailand


Once, a tree stood out against the blue, leafless and full of white birds.

At the highest point of the monastery, someone has placed white plumerias and purple bougainvilleas over symmetrically arranged bamboo sticks inside a blue plate filled with water: a way to greet the morning, a way to give thanks, a way that I understand, being far from home.

I crouch inside the roots of a tree to have my picture taken, not knowing the jasmine and marigolds dangling above my head mean a spirit is worshiped here.

I have made friends that I’ve lost in the making. I have made friends that I’ll keep even as I forget them.

Near River Kwai, I have climbed down stairs to see how we torture our own and I’ve climbed up the same stairs to find how we worship stone.

Elephants grabbed bananas out of my hands. I’ve sat with two tigers; it was like standing on a cliff readying to jump off. A monkey sat on a tree stump, holding his neck, as if to say he’d hang himself if I left.

The sun passed me many times and when it sat one evening, its reflection on the lake was a monk, waving a hand.

A long boat sliced through water. The water stitched itself right back.

The King and Queen smile, framed behind glass. They were my age once.

Golden temples stand ceremonious, and here, foreigners hold each other, smiling, in photos they will send home, in photos they’ll forget soon.

Nothing hits home like the lime green of a rice field. The field workers know it. The King knows it. The rats do too.

At the river market, the fisherman sells crabs and shrimp with haste. His boat sways at the dock, his boat longs to be anchored there a long time.

The grasses on the side of the road, leaning in the wind, their heads white in the sun, like my father, leaning and white.

Huts on the green river, holding each other. The people inside holding away from me.

The rain in the monsoon season, punctual every afternoon, like father coming home from work.

I have met happy people. I will never meet them again.

The sunlight behind white bouganvillea petals, cold and rich like sealed letters, mailed off to someone I wait for.

I lit a candle on a krathong, placed it on the pond water and pushed it gently out, watched it yield to the other krathongs then burn itself up. I tried not to be Thai about the flame though I still think about it at times.

Already a year after I’ve been married, my students see me in the hall and still say, “Hi, Miss Ani. Woops, I meant Mrs. Ani.”

A python lay like a wet sweater at the bottom of our garbage can.

There was a pot on a river, near dusk, tilted, about to pour, though nothing poured out, except the evening, filled with my longing.

I ran home in the rain. Found a feather stuck to my toe. Blessed the bird I never saw.

Once, the moon was a lantern in someone’s yard. In that yard, I sat across the moon, my silhouette on fire, wishing he could see me now.

In the woods, the light keeps running. For once, I keep up.

Thailand, where I want to say, the open mouths of orchids speak in my mother’s voice. In truth, it is only the dogs that speak my mother’s tongue. Dogs always wandering Thailand the way my mother has wandered, and her mother before her, and I afterwards. Thailand, where trees knot roots with each other, where they tell me to wait, where they say my own haven’t grown yet, so girl, stop searching.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lorena said...

I think this poem is nice! The images were playing vividly in my mind as I read the poem. Some I could relate to, and the others made me 'see' the beauty of Thailand in a different angle, somehow experiencing it through your eyes.

~JMG

9:10 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Love the entire tone of this peom. Just wondering though, what do you really mean in that very last line where it goes "...where they say my own haven't grown yet, so girl, stop searching." I'm filled with questions on what really is that searching about. Please fill in that empty gap.

-Lorena-

2:25 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Thanks, Julie. I like your initials by the way! I'm still revising this as I think the first version was a bit too sentimental, I think it still suffers from that here and there now but maybe I should let it sit for some time. Thanks for the feedback.

You too, Lorena. Good point on the last line. I meant my roots haven't grown yet. What does that mean? lol Uh, well, actually this thing with my roots keeps coming up in my writing. I guess because I've moved a few times and not just from one neighborhood or state to another but an entire continent to another. So far I've lived in three and I've not been able to see my cousins in ten years. The search I mention has something to do with me searching for understanding maybe? of what and if I've lost something in the process of moving away, of why this has been my lot etc. yadda, yadda. See, I don't know yet what I mean. lol Thanks for pointing that out.

Ani

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home