Monday, October 02, 2006

I Just Don't Get It...!

I was just thinking about what Mrs. Ani said about how people have different perceptions differently about the same thing. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. The different opinions that we get are interesting because to me, I get to know other people's views and in a way, it makes me see the way they see something. Unfortunately, when people misinterpret what they are seeing, then that is the disadvantage.

In poetry we learn that there are no wrong or right answers, JUST as long we can support our answers. This is the same with interpreting a subject. There is no right or wrong answer to it as long as it is relevant. To be a good reader and listener, we must be open to the opinions of others. If we are closed and narrow minded, we cannot see them as a good thing and instead condemn them.

I have a friend back home who kept on asking me about the Second coming. I honestly know nothing about it except for the general idea that Jesus will come and every eye will see Him. My friend who reads the Bible and Sabbath school lessons like her text books somehow did not get the right message. She kept asking me for the signs and how scary it would become when Jesus comes in the future. One thing that scares her is "Jesus is coming soon!" She keeps hearing about people who had done their research and that He will come in the next two years. How much can we believe this? This kind of research was done before and yet it never happened. I told her about this but she somehow did not want to accept my explanation and only wanted to stick to her own answer (if that was the case, why bother asking me when she did not want to accept my explanation in the first place?!) I gave up trying to explain things to her and I only asked myself how poeple could go so far away and not look at the logical side?
There are things that can be so believing and yet they are not the truth. I guess faith plays an important role in this, which also helps us in making the right decisions. I'm not sure how to end this story, but there you go...



Fiona

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorena said...

Yes, and I'd like to add that not only in poetry, but in life in general, as far as I know, there are no right or wrong answers. There is a lot of learning. And I, personally, do not believe in mistakes. Somehow, post childhood, that word does not sound right to me. I believe that we consciously or subconsciously make choices and need to take responsibilities for all the consequences and make the best of our choices even when someone else might label them as "mistakes".

The main concern in my previous, incoherent post is that we often miss the bigger picture, (whoever made that comment today on the early FOF meeting was too quick to judge in my opinion. It's like judging a book from its cover). We focus so hard and for so long on one detail, wondering why it is here and why is it this shape or this color, we fail to see its relation to the rest of the picture and how it couldn't just not be there. The same thing with stories we read in class or poems, anything that is open to interpretation, we focus a lot on one aspect and often fail to see the whole thing which you know, for all we know, the writer or painter wrote it or painted it that way just so he/she could get some money as a result. LOL. Isn't that a valid argument too? That by the way, comes from a kid. Heh.

Thanks for the post, Fiona. The stuff about your friend, oy, well at least you talked to her about how you thought of the subject. You know all you can do is talk about it. And keep an open mind. If the other cannot open up to your interpretation then just like you said, which I think you said it quite well, why did they ask for an interpretation in the first place? lol

Have a good night!
Ani

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home